While there are countless benefits to balancing macronutrients at each meal, the main one we're focusing on here is balanced blood sugar. This is truly the catalyst to sustainable health, happy hormones, and a functional, thriving body.
Benefits of balanced blood sugar:
- All day, sustained energy
- Mood stabilization
- Decreased stress (because cortisol is released every time blood sugar drops, eating balanced - i.e. not skipping meals, including protein and moderate fat with your carbohydrates, etc. - can help reduce your fight or flight response)
- Increased insulin sensitivity (i.e. you'll process carbohydrates better)
- Better weight management
Symptoms of unbalanced blood sugar:
- Feeling tired throughout the day and experiencing energy crashes, especially after lunch
- Difficulty concentrating or brain fog
- Intense cravings for sugar or caffeine to keep you going
- Feeling cranky, lightheaded, and/or experiencing headaches between meals
- Difficulty losing weight, even if you're exercising or eating "clean"
How to balance your blood sugar:
- Always pair protein and/or healthy fats with carbohydrates, especially at breakfast (unless it's right before an intense strength training or HIIT workout)
- Try to eat in regular intervals; skipping meals and fasting is not ideal, especially for women
- If consuming caffeine, make sure to pair it with a meal to reduce the body's stress response
- Omit starchy carbohydrates from meals that include alcohol
- Prioritize adequate, restful sleep
Did you find yourself experiencing any of the symptoms of unbalanced blood sugar? If so, which ones have the most impact on your day? Please reach out to us anytime if you have any questions and want to learn more!